10.22.2009

a new leaf

For all the blogs I follow about sick babies and single dads left behind and horrific life circumstances - I never would have imagined that my blog would serve a similar purpose.

But this is a great medium to be able to share updates with what I once thought were maybe only 3 readers. The love and support we're feeling now indicate there might be just a few more ...

So without further ado, I begin the Merritt Chronicles.
---------------------------------------
This is kind of a no news is good news deal, but I thought I'd let you know how things are going ... because ... what else am I supposed to be doing at 2 am??

The rounding doctor came by earlier this evening and said that all of the labs they'd gotten back so far were negative - so we were in the clear to that point. He expressed some concern over blood in the urine, but I think we cleared that up with the fact that 1. Merritt was catheterized to collect the urine and 2. His circumcission isn't quite healed.

He's been amazing on the breast while here (I just had to get over the monster IV coming out of his head). Matt wasn't kidding when he said that Merritt does keg stands on my boobs. That kid took 80 CCs from one milk sack alone earlier this evening! And 70 the next time. So he's eating well and having great (albeit, noisy) output. I guess Santa finally delivered on those "bossoms" I asked for every year.

We remain on isolation. I'm starting to miss seeing the nurses mouths move when they talk - but will tolerate the masks for the safety of all the other sick, sick babies in the NICU. On a totally not green note: I can't believe the number of gowns we go through in this process.

We're hoping the Merritt doesn't have to have another lumbar puncture, but understand if that happens. His first didn't provide enough cerebral spinal fluid to give a diagnostic - and we really need to rule out sepsis/meningitis. I've already nicknamed him "EEEleven," since he rocked the first Spinal Tap so hard.

The Dude is a champ and I think the antibiotics have got him feeling better already. I'm floored by his resilience. Incredible.

Nurse LaDonna is about to load up another IV dose of ampicillin. I'll keep you posted on what will no doubt be wonderful progress! Please keep sending those positive vibes.

Love to you all.

No comments: