2.28.2012

DreamWorks

Him: Hey, Momma. What time is it, Momma?

Me: It's bedtime.

Him: Yeah, it's forty o'clock.

(A few seconds pass as he rustles around in the covers.)

Him: Where the princess are?

Me: In the castle.

Him: Where the dragon are?

Me: In the castle.

(He goes on with this line of questioning several times over. I answer the same every time. Eventually he branches out from just wondering about "the princess" and "the dragon." Now he wants to know where "Shrekt" and the "horsey" are. I oblige. Apparently this movie has made an impact. Several minutes of quiet pass.)

Him: Hey, Momma! Where the princess are?

Me: She's in the castle. Asleep. Because it's bedtime.

Him: Oh. I'll go get her. You stay there. Stay there, Momma.

(He gives "Shrekt" the night off. And quiets down again. At this point, his breathing shifts and I'm certain he's moved on, that he's laying there thinking about quinoa or what exactly bubbles are or how he can use the word "perfunctory" in a sentence tomorrow - probably with minimal effort. I assume he's fading into dreamland. It's been quiet for longer than I can count.)

Him: ... Momma. You're okay?

Me: I'm okay. Are you okay?

Him: No. I'm not okay. I be cry.

Me: Why, Bud?

Him: Because dragon's sleeping.

Me: That's because it's forty o'clock.

Him: Oh. Right.

(And then he whispers ...

Him: It's night-night time.


And they all slept happily ever after.

No comments: